Wednesday, March 04, 2009

A Letter From Desolation Row

Every single day I hear from people around the state of South Carolina who are not getting by. I've always gotten letters like this, but now they come in waves. Here's the latest from Desolation Row.
I never thought I would have to write a desperate plea for help like I am doing and if you could take the time to read it I would appreciate it very much.
My name is [WITHHELD] and I live in Chester, SC and I have been affected like a lot of other people by the economic situation, but I have no hope for turning my situation around without help from total strangers.
I am 50 years old now, single and have no family, and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety when I was 17 years old and this has not helped my current situation because I can not afford to get medication or even see a doctor because I have lost my drivers license because of a stupid thing I did 9 years ago (DUI). There is no work in the small town I live in and if there was I cannot drive a car because I cannot afford to get my drivers license back. (fines and SR22 insurance) I remodel homes, basically a handyman, when I was able to work. I have been trying to sell my 15 year old Mercury Cougar on Craigslist to get some cash but have not had any luck at all.
I am not eligible for unemployment and cannot get to Social Services to apply for food stamps. My only real friend lives an hour away and he can't take me to get food stamps because he is having a hard time also. Luckily, I own the single-wide mobile home I have, but I am not even able to pay the property taxes which are already overdue.
Basically, I am asking anyone that could help me out financially if you could find it in your heart to do so. My electric and phone bill is due and I need food, I just don’t know what to do anymore. If you cant, I appreciate you reading this letter, it was very hard for me to even write it. Even if you could say a prayer for me that would be great too. I hope the government does something soon to help people, I know some people that have it even worse then me. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

1 comment:

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom,

I do believe that we ALL need to circle our wagons right now. This is as much of a storm as any force of nature. The only way we will get through it is by prioritizing, simplifying and caring.