The real drama is in the Superintendant's race, where a margin of 483 votes separates educator Dr. Jim Rex from radical Reconstructionist lawyer Karen Floyd. In a race with so much hanging on the outcome, expect that the recount won't settle things. There is surely to be a challenge. The vote totals have changed several times, and as recently as this morning, changed again.
Just to remind you why a Floyd victory will be bad for South Carolina, Sunbeams from Cucumbers gave us five reasons not to vote for her:
1. Floyd wants to teach creationism.
2. Jim Rex is far more qualified for the job; Floyd has no relevant qualifications of any kind.
3. Floyd is the recipient of wads out out-of-state money from pro-voucher advocate Howard Rich.
4. Floyd's pro-voucher position is extreme.
5. Floyd's own step-mother is supporting Jim Rex.
When your schools are bad as South Carolina's, putting a Christian Reconstructionist with an anti-science agenda in charge is a really bad idea.
The votes have been cast. They will be counted at least one more time.
But Karen Floyd is still bad for South Carolina.